What better time for a trip to Blackpool than to see the legendary Blackpool lights switch on?
Blackpool Illuminations are on untill November 5th this year (2017). All times listed here.
The 2017 Blackpool Illuminations will be switched on by Diversity and Captain Lorca, at approx 8.45pm. The Tower Festival Headland is the venue for the switch on with concerts on Friday night and Saturday nights.
Stunning illuminated Tram on Blackpool Promenade.
To ensure this year’s event is the most spectacular yet, there are a host of new and revamped light displays including Theatre D’Amour, Venus Reborn, Talbot Square and Brilliance, which are all designed to dazzle and delight visitors.
The Lights shine every year for 66 nights, and continue to attract huge crowds. 2017 will see The Lights lit until Sunday November 5th so get your break booked now and prepare to be dazzled. A preview night of the illuminations is on Tuesday 29th August when the Promenade is closed to traffic for cycles to Ride The Lights and get a full preview of the coming 2017 Blackpool Illuminations displays.
Official switch on times for Blackpool Illuminations 2017
Blackpool lights switch on times vary over the nine weeks due to the nights drawing in and the clocks going back one hour at the end of October.
What times are Blackpool illuminations on? Here is a full list of the programmed switched on times for September, October and November 2017. (note times may vary from the schedule due to circumstances on the day).
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for September 2017
- Friday 1st September 8.45pm to 2.00am.
- Saturday 2nd September 8.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 3rd September 8.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 4th to Thursday 7th September 8.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 8th and Saturday 9th September 7.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 10th September 8.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 11th to Thursday 14th September 8.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 15th and Saturday 16th September 7.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 17th September 7.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 18th to Thursday 21st September 7.45pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd September 7.30pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 24th September 7.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 25th to Thursday 28th September 7.30pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 29th and Saturday 30th September 7.15pm to Midnight.
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for October 2017
- Sunday 1st October 7.15pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 2nd to Thursday 4th October 7.15pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 5th and Saturday 6th October 7.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 8th October 7.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 9th to Thursday 12th October 7.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 13th and Saturday 14th October 6.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 15th October 6.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 16th to Thursday 19th October 6.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Friday 20th and Saturday 21st October 6.30pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 22nd October 6.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 23rd to Thursday 26th October 6.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Friday 27th and Saturday 28th October 6.15pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 29th October 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 30th to Thursday 2nd November 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for November 2017
- Friday 3rd November and Saturday 4th November 5.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 5th November 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
Another question that always surfaces at this time of year is, who switched on the Illuminations in 1973? Or some other year, it was Gordon Banks by the way. Or what year did Status Quo do the switch on, that was 24 years ago in 1993. You can find the answer to these and any other questions on our new Who switched on Blackpool Illuminations page.
You may also be interested in other Blackpool festivals and events.