What better time for a trip to Blackpool than to see the legendary Blackpool lights switch on?
Blackpool Illuminations are on untill November 4th this year (2018). All times listed here.
The 2018 Blackpool Illuminations will be switched on , at approx 8.45pm. The Tower Festival Headland is the venue for the switch on with concerts on Friday night and Saturday nights.
Stunning illuminated Tram on Blackpool Promenade.
To ensure this year’s event is the most spectacular yet, there are a host of new and revamped light displays including Theatre D’Amour, Venus Reborn, Talbot Square and Brilliance, which are all designed to dazzle and delight visitors.
The Lights shine every year for 66 nights, and continue to attract huge crowds. 2018 will see The Lights lit until Sunday November 4th so get your break booked now and prepare to be dazzled. A preview night of Blackpool illuminations is on Tuesday 29th August when the Promenade is closed to traffic for cycles to Ride The Lights and get a full preview of the coming 2018 Blackpool Illuminations displays.
Official switch on times for Blackpool Illuminations 2018
Blackpool lights switch on times vary over the nine weeks due to the nights drawing in and the clocks going back one hour at the end of October.
What times are Blackpool illuminations on? Here is a full list of the programmed switched on times for September, October and November 2018. (note times may vary from the schedule due to circumstances on the day).
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for September 2018
- Friday 31st August 8.45pm to 2.00am.
- Saturday 1st September 8.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 2nd September 8.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 3rd to Thursday 6th September 8.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 7th and Saturday 8th September 7.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 9th September 8.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 10th to Thursday 13th September 8.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 14th and Saturday 15th September 7.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 16th September 7.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 17th to Thursday 20th September 7.45pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd September 7.30pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 23rd September 7.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 24th to Thursday 27th September 7.30pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 28th and Saturday 29th September 7.15pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 30th September 7.15pm to 11.00pm.
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for October 2018
- Monday 1st to Thursday 4th October 7.15pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 5th and Saturday 6th October 7.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 7th October 7.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 8th to Thursday 11th October 7.00pm to 10.30pm.
- Friday 12th and Saturday 13th October 6.45pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 14th October 6.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 15th to Thursday 18th October 6.45pm to 11.00pm.
- Friday 19th and Saturday 20th October 6.30pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 21st October 6.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 22nd to Thursday 25th October 6.30pm to 11.00pm.
- Friday 26th and Saturday 27th October 6.15pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 28th October 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
- Monday 29th to Thursday 1st November 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
Blackpool Illuminations switch on times for November 2018
- Friday 2nd November and Saturday 3rd November 5.00pm to Midnight.
- Sunday 5th November 5.00pm to 11.00pm.
Another question that always surfaces at this time of year is, who switched on the Illuminations in 1973? Or some other year, it was Gordon Banks by the way. Or what year did Status Quo do the switch on, that was 24 years ago in 1993. You can find the answer to these and any other questions on our new Who switched on Blackpool Illuminations page.
You may also be interested in other Blackpool festivals and events.