Blackpool launched the worlds first official air show in 1909, an historic year in aviation when French aviator Louis Bleriot made the first crossing of the English Channel in a heavier than air aircraft.
A pair of Breitling Wing Walkers.
Since those early days Blackpool Air show has been at the forefront of family entertainment air shows, with exciting flying programs designed to appeal to all the family. The stunning Blackpool sands and iconic Tower make a unique backdrop to one of the north west’s finest air shows. The primary action takes place between North Pier and Central Pier, Tower Festival Headland, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY1 4BJ.
Bigger and better than ever this year (2015) the show, which is a free event, will be held on two days, Sunday 9th August 2pm to 4.30pm and Monday 10th August 12noon to 4.50pm.
Natalie Wyatt, Managing Director of Marketing Blackpool, said:
“We are thrilled to be continuing our free annual Air Show over two days.
This is always a fantastic family day out but for 2015 visitors can again get not one, but two opportunities to witness these dazzling displays.”
Many favourites return each year, the programme for the 2015 Blackpool Air Show is:
Sunday 9th August
- The RAF Red Arrows, will open the 2015 Blackpool Airshow with a stunning display. The world’s most spectacular and exciting flying team from RAF Scampton with Hawk T1a aircraft will wow the crowds once again with a spectacular display over the Blackpool seafront.
- State of the art military aircraft technology visits the 2015 Blackpool Air show with the RAF Typhoon displaying its cutting edge capabilities, the worlds most agile aircraft. Witness an elite RAF front line squadron in action.
- The Battle of Britain Memorial flight with the iconic Spitfire, Hurricane and Dakota aircraft visiting the skies of Blackpool. Sixty seven years ago this month Dakota aircraft were in action during the Berlin Airlift when the west sector of the city, under siege from the Russian Red Army, was completely supplied by air for eleven months until the siege was lifted. BBMF Website.
- RAF Chinook (Helicopter)
- Audacious, brave, daredevils. A pair of the Breitling Wing Walkers, the world’s only formation wing walking team with their beautiful Boeing Stearman biplanes. There will be a breathtaking sequence of formation loops and rolls, while daring wing walkers perform acrobatics on their wings! Wow! Breitling wing walkers website.
- Stunning acrobatics with Pitts Special biplanes flown by highly experienced and skilled aerobatic pilots whose display offers all the smoke and noise of a modern air display act, coupled with the unbeatable character of the 1940’s designed Pitts Special biplane.
- BAC Strikemaster.
- Huey (Helicopter)
- Extra 260
- The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is sure to tickle our fancy, quirky but great fun and one of my favourites. Piloted by Peter Try-Davies visit website.
- RV8tors. Flying their remarkably fast, fully aerobatic aircraft with powerful smoke systems, the RV8tors perform a thrilling and unforgettable air display.
Close formation aerobatics are combined with speeds of up to 230mph and dare-devil opposition passes which create an electrifying spectacle.
The climax of the display is the giant white heart, drawn in the sky by the aircraft and their smoke trails. Regardless of the event, the effect of the heart puts people in good spirits, making the RV8tors display appropriate for all occasions, including public airshows.
Monday 10th August 2015
- The RAF Red Arrows display team.
- RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (Spitfire, Hurricane and Dakota)
- RAF Chinook (Helicopter)
- Two from the Brietling Team with their Boeing Stearman aircraft and daredevil wing walking ladies.
- Pitts Special Biplanes.
- BAC Strikemaster.
- Huey (Helicopter).
- Extra 260.
- The Calidus Gyrocopter, how these aircraft fly is fascinating, the rotor is free turning it is not powered, the rear facing propeller is the propulsion system, quirky but great fun.
- RV8tors (RV-8). High octane aerobatics.
- Boeing b-17 flying fortress. G-BEDF “Sally B” is the last remaining airworthy B-17 in Europe. She is based in the United Kingdom from where she flies regularly at air shows, memorial flypasts and commemorative events as a memorial to the USAAF (United States Army Air Force) in Europe. Since 1982, Sally B has been operated by Elly Sallingboe of B-17 Preservation with the help of a dedicated team of volunteers and the backing of one of the largest supporters clubs of its kind in the world. Visit the Sally B Website.
Stalls and static displays on Tower Festival Headland open from 10am.
A really exciting programme for the 2015 Blackpool Air Show is being assembled and Blackpool anticipates welcoming tens of thousands of people into the resort for the two days.
All the aerobatic display teams we witness at Blackpool Air Show are breathtaking and this year’s display is sure to be a fly away success.
What do the visitors have to say? Barbara emailed:
Felt I had to write and say what a fantastic day out for all the family over two days and all for free!!
Blackpool doesn’t get enough credit. Well done Blackpool!
Blackpool Air Display 2015! See you there.
Note that all the displays are subject to availability and suitable weather conditions on the day. The flying programme may therfore be subject to change without prior notification.
Tower Festival Headland Promenade Blackpool Lancashire FY1 4BJ Tel: 01253 478222
You may also like to see Blackpool festivals and events.