Blackpool Air Show 2014
Sunday 10th and Monday 11th August 2pm to 4.30pm
1909 was an historic year in aviation when French aviator Louis Bleriot made the first crossing of the English Channel in a heavier than air aircraft and Blackpool launched the worlds first official air show.
A pair of Breitling Wing Walkers will be at Blackpool Air Show on both days.
Since those early days Blackpool Air show has been at the forefront of family entertainment air shows, with exciting flying programs designed to appeal to all the family. The stunning Blackpool sands and iconic Tower make a unique backdrop to one of the north west’s finest air shows. The primary action takes place between North Pier and Central Pier.
Bigger and better than ever this year the show, which is a free event, will be held on two days, Sunday 10th and Monday 11th August 2pm to 4.30pm.
Natalie Wyatt, Managing Director of Marketing Blackpool, said:
“We are thrilled to be extending our free annual Air Show to two days.
This is always a fantastic family day out but for 2014 people can get not one, but two opportunities to witness these dazzling displays.”
The programme running order for the 2014 Blackpool Air Show is:
Sunday 10th August
- 2.17 pm: The show gets under way with a Dakota from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) stationed at RAF Coningsby.
- 2.24pm: The Tucano stationed at RAF Linton-on-ouse. Tucano is a propeller driven aircraft which is the primary, basic fast jet flying, training aircraft for RAF pilots of the future.
- 2.35pm: Stunning acrobatics from the TRIG display team. “Pitts biplanes flown by highly experienced and skilled aerobatic pilots whose display offers all the smoke and noise of a modern air display act, coupled with the unbeatable character of the 1940′s designed Pitts Special biplane”. Trig aerobatics website.
- 2.46pm Swordfish.
- 2.56pm: The colourful Miss Demeanour Hawker Hunter visits Blackpool. The Hawker Hunter, a subsonic jet aircraft, was the RAF’s first high-speed jet aircraft but the RAF never had a paint job like this beauty. Miss Demeanour website.
- 3.06pm: Audacious, brave, daredevils. A pair of the Breitling Wing Walkers, the world’s only formation wing walking team with their beautiful Boeing Stearman biplanes. There will be a breathtaking sequence of formation loops and rolls, while daring wing walkers perform acrobatics on their wings! Wow! Breitling wing walkers website.
- 3.25pm: The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is next to tickle our fancy, quirky but great fun. Piloted by Peter Try-Davies visit website.
- 3.35pm: Sea Fury from the Royal Navy Historic Flight.
- 3.45pm: The Battle of Britain Memorial flight with the iconic Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster visiting the skies of Blackpool. BBMF Website.
- 4.02pm: More aerobatics next from the exhilarating Arbarth Extra 330SC an aircraft designed specifically for aerobatics at air shows.
- 4.11pm: For many military aircraft buffs the ear-splitting sound of the Vulcan bomber is a star turn. This jet-powered delta wing strategic bomber is without doubt the noisiest aircraft at any air show and a guaranteed head turner at Blackpool. The Vulcan’s, built for the cold war era, saw combat service in the 1982 Falklands war when 5 long range sorties were flown from Ascension Island to attack targets on the Falklands. The round trip of 12,600 Km took 16 hours to complete and required 11 air refuelling tankers.
- 4.17pm: State of the art military aircraft technology is next with the RAF Typhoon, the worlds most agile aircraft. Witness an elite RAF front line squadron in action. Pilot Flight Lieutenant “Noz” Norris, RAF Coningsby.
- 4.30pm: Finally the perennial favourites of air shows the world over, The Red Arrows, will close the Sunday show with a 9 aircraft display. The world’s most spectacular and exciting flying team have entertained millions of spectators over the years and will wow the crowds once again with a spectacular display over the Blackpool Golden Mile.
Monday 11th August.
- 2.15pm: The Red Arrows, will open the Monday show with a 7 aircraft display. The world’s most spectacular and exciting flying team from RAF Scampton with Hawk T1a aircraft will wow the crowds once again with a spectacular display over the Blackpool seafront.
- 2.41pm: The Tucano stationed at RAF Linton-on-ouse.
- 2.52pm: SWIP Team. 2 Silence SA1100 Twister Aircraft flown by Peter Wells and Guy Westgate.
- 3.02pm: Sea Fury from the Royal Navy Historic Flight.
- 3.12pm: Lancaster Hurricane and Spitfire from the BBMF RAF Coningsby.
- 3.19pm: The enigmatic Calidus Gyrocopter is next, how these aircraft fly is fascinating, the rotor is free turning it is not powered, the rear facing propeller is the propulsion system, quirky but great fun.
- 3.29pm: TRIG Team in their two Pitts Biplanes with a stunning display of aerobatics.
- 3.40pm: Swordfish.
- 3.50pm: Exhilarating display from the Arbarth Extra 330SC, flown by Mark Jeffries, an aircraft designed specifically for aerobatics at air shows.
- 4pm: Two from the Brietling Team with their Boeing Stearman aircraft and daredevil wing walking ladies.
- 4.19pm: The show closes with the stunning “Miss Demeanour” the Hawker Hunter with the stunning paint job.
Ms Wyatt added:
“This is a really exciting programme for the 2013 Blackpool Air Show and we anticipate welcoming tens of thousands of people into the resort for the two days.
Of course, we are delighted to be welcoming back the Red Arrows who couldn’t appear at last year’s event due to another commitment. But all the aerobatic display teams we witness at Blackpool Air Show are breathtaking and we expect this year’s to be a fly away success.”
What do the visitors have to say? Barbara emailed:
Felt I had to write and say what a fantastic day out for all the family over two days and all for free!!
Blackpool doesn’t get enough credit.
Well done Blackpool!
Blackpool Air Display 2014! See you there.
Tower Festival Headland Promenade Blackpool Lancashire FY1 4BJ Tel: 01253 478222
You may also like to see Blackpool festivals and events.
By Ray Dexeter.